The matches were set a week ago, the trash talking was over and there we stood ready to do battle. The first foursome would be 2008 Bud Light MVP Mike Schulz and your publisher Mike Franey against Captain Carpet Randy Bierl and Uncle Grandpa Bruce Pettitt. The night started slow for the 2008 MVP as he lost the first three holes to Bierl. Schulz would rebound with the help of a couple 12 ounces of swing oil provided by our great sponsor. In the end Schulz beat Bierl 11 to 7. Captain Mike Franey capitalized on several Uncle Grandpa Bruce's mistakes and topped Pettitt 13 to 7.
News of what was going on in the second match came via the Macke - Ebner Express. With the club championship success over the weekend by Steve Sinnard and long time subscriber, top local amateur, highly successful and more veteran golfer Craig Mertz your Captain voiced his concerns on Sunday about preventing "tournament hangover" syndrome in the championship match. The most beautiful words to flow into your Captain's ears were heard as the two pulled their E-Z-GO golf cart up to the East side of the #9 green! "No Tournament Hangover in this cart" they proclaim. The duo started fast as a sprinkling of birdies and an eagle appeared on the card. Long time subscriber, top local amateur, highly successful and more veteran golfer Craig Mertz shot an stellar 5 under par 32 while Car Wash Todd Pettitt shot a 1 under par 36. A match that saw Pettit challenge Mertz down the stretch ended with a 11 to 7 Mertz win! Steve Sinnard eagled #2 on his way to a 2 under par 35 and took the wings away from Flying Bob Raue. Raue was limping a little after an over the weekend water sking mishap. One has to wonder how big the risk was to go sking before a historical Supper match. Rumors surfaced last evening about the possibility of Raue joining the Macke Motors senior league team!
Overall it was just what Super Doc McCoy would have persribed, a little swing oil for the 2008 MVP, great performances from Sinnard and Mertz and your publisher taking advantage of some mistakes. A 48 to 24 win over the Tiger Woods division champion put smiles on all the faces of Bud Light nation.
I would like to thank our fine team sponsor Jim, Troy, and Steve Auen of The Ike Auen Distributing Company, all of the loyal supporters of this report and the Carroll Country Club for making 2009 a Championship year to remember!
Other news worthy items.........................
- Happy birthday wishes to Troy and Hans Auen!
- Happy birthday wishes to Kyle Atkinson.
- Congratulations to Johnny Beiter for his handicap club championship!
- Congrats to the head oil jobber Roger 'Chico' Kanne for his 56 in senior league on Tuesday!
- Way to go Eric Neu for beating Stiffstick's Captain Frank Comito on #15. I bet it made good chatter around the Neu, Minnich, Comito and Neu water cooler!
- Just a report reminder Fall League will start soon so get your partner and sign up! Odds makers have named Papa Joe Pick and Junk Yard Dog Cuda Quandt as the favorites. This publisher and Steve Sinnard are ready to take care of them.
- Congrats to Stiffsticks for beating Carroll Cycle Center for 3rd and Utilicom for beating Community Oil Company for 5th.
- Long time subscriber, top local amateur, highly successful and more veteran golfer Craig Mertz was low gross, Mark Thomsen was low net and Walsh Motors were low net team on the front nine.
- The new 50 year old Terry Ruchti was closest to the pin on #8 and also shot an even par 37.
- Congrats to Pete Collison for nailing the longest putt.
- Congrats to Carroll Country Club head pro and general manager Nick Schon for his 3 under 31 on the back nine. Rick Kasperbauer and Ryan Milligan tied for low net and the La-z-boys were low net team. Twenty time Carroll City Champion Mike "Jewels" Eckerman and Paul Tigges were closest to the pin on #17. Welcome to the club staff Paul!
That is a wrap for the 2009 Carroll Country Club Supper league! Your Bud Light team are champions! The wheels are already in motion for 2010! The year of the 3 peat! The 2009 Bud Light MVP will be announced soon!
Fairways and greens to all! This Bud's for You!
2008 and 2009 Supper league championship captain